To participate in the Conexiones iCademy Awards competition:
teams of 2 - 5 students .
2. Students and parents complete the image
and video release form and returns to teacher. Teacher mail the
The Applied Learning Technologies Institute
Attention iCademy Awards
1475 North Scottsdale Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85257
3. Review the rules, rubrics and resources available on the icademy.asu.edu
8. Conduct research, develop a concept, plan, and create the project.
9. Submit your entry by February 28, 2009 through the iCademy.asu.edu
A completed entry consists of the following items:
10. Keep the original high quality version of your work. The winners
will be asked to submit a high quality version for presentation at
the MEC conference. If submitting a digital video, export a copy
of your movie to DV tape. If submitting a photo essay, keep the highest
quality digital copy of your picture.
11. Cross your fingers and wait, as the judges make their final decisions.
An independent panel of judges will select the winners utilizing
the contest rubrics. The judges are selected
from sponsoring organizations and have experitese in water issues,
media and technology. The winners (top 3 in each division) will be
notified by Febraury 28, 2009. First and second place teams from
each division will be invited to attend and present at the MEC 2009
conference at ASU.
TEAM REQUIREMENTS & EXPECTATIONS
• Each team must be comprised of 2-5 students and 1 certified
• A team may also include 1 adult volunteer (optional and pursuant
of you school or district policy).
• Teams may be comprised of students from within a single classroom
or from multiple classrooms and 1 teacher
Teachers may provide guidance, administration, and practical assistance
to their teams. Coaches may help students form teams and locate
resources (human, technical, and information). Teachers and coaches
may NOT work directly on the videos or photographic essays. Teachers
can work with multiple teams.
The teacher must:
• be certified and working in a teaching or resource capacity
(e.g., teacher, librarian, technology coordinator, etc.)
• obtain support from his/her principal or authorized school
• obtain a signed permission form from the parent/guardian
of each student member of the team, and make available upon request
• provide his/her active email address at enrollment
• serve as the point of contact for the team
• maintain a file of parent and student image and video release
forms, and make available upon request
Students are responsible for the actual design and development of
their Entry, including the selection, research, and development
of its content. Each student must make significant contributions
to the success of the team and be a full participant in the development
of the Entry.
Each student must:
• be enrolled in an Arizona public or charter school
• be a member of ONLY one team
Evaluation for digital videos and photo essays is available on the
icademy.asu.edu website. Teams should review the Evaluation Criteria
thoroughly before developing their entries.
Contest Areas and Divisions
• Digital Story – short (2 - 5 minutes)
• Photographic Essay (photograph and 650 word essay)
• All content must be original and developed solely by students
enrolled in the team.
• Content may not contain profanity, vulgar language, nudity
or statements that promote hatred towards any individual, race, or
Use of Copyrighted Materials
• Content must be the original creation of the team.
• Plagiarism or copyright violation will result in disqualification.
• All music used in the videos must be created by the students.
Student Safety & Privacy
In order to prevent the publication of personal student information
projects may NOT contain any of the following:
• Student last names
• Student email addresses or personal contact information
Movies must be submitted online in QuickTime, MPG or WMV format.
The recommended movie size is 320 x 240 and can not be larger than
30 MB. Note: Winners will be required to provide the movie in its
original format upon request.
Photographs must be no large than 8 x 10 inch submitted on line
in a high quality JPG format. Essays will be cut and pasted into
an online form.